Property management companies hit hard by the pandemic

Currently, the state of California’s temporary eviction moratorium has no end date, but when it does, tenants must pay at least 25% of what they owe in rent. .

SAN DIEGO — With many people still out of work and the eviction moratorium in place, renters in San Diego are still able to keep a roof over their heads during the pandemic.

“I think there’s a misconception that landlords or apartment owners want to be rich…that’s really not the case,” said Bob Weinberger, owner of RJW Properties.

Property management company RJW oversees approximately 50 apartment complexes throughout San Diego. Weinberger and his employee Anna Amano have seen a drastic drop in income since the pandemic began.

Because property management companies like RWJ are frustrated with the lack of revenue, they have turned to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

If eligible, the county will compensate 80% of the tenant’s rent, the remaining 20% ​​must be forgiven by the landlord. What Bob and Anna are saying is better than nothing, the problem is not everyone in their buildings is signing up for the program.

“We’re sympathetic to the situation and helping as much as we can, but we’re also trying to do our job. So that’s a real problem for us,” Weinberger said. “A lot of tenants are apathetic even about applying. We’re doing an awful lot of work here in the office and we’re tearing our hair out trying to put all this information together and submit it.”

This leaves RJW with a huge hole in its books. An uneven amount of money from the county that doesn’t cover their expenses.

Currently, the state of California’s temporary eviction moratorium has no end date, but when it does, tenants must pay at least 25% of what they owe in rent. to their owners. But until then, Weinberger would like to see better communication from the housing commission and more help for his business.

“I know many organizations and businesses have been impacted during the pandemic,” Weinberger said. “But property management is really a bit of a hassle, because you’re taking money out of the mouths of landlords who have been saving for 20 years to buy a 12-unit apartment building for their retirement.”

WATCH RELATED: San Diego County eviction moratorium goes into effect June 3, 2021